Saturday, December 11, 2010

Open Studios


Tonight was refreshing. Redux Contemporary Art Center held an open studio event where I got a chance to see what was being made here in Charleston, and put some faces to some of it as well. It was nice to get out and be around paint that wasn’t house paint for a change (being that I have been working at Sherwin Williams since I moved here.) Redux is the only establishment in Charleston, that I know of, that runs such a program(s). Not only does Redux have gallery space and studio space, but it also facilitates art classes as well, and a hand full at that. From what I have been noticing in Charleston, there are “galleries” that have the expected beach-paintings and kitschy-home-gear, and then there is Redux and the Halsey, both facilitating to contemporary art and artists. I have been enjoying getting to know the people that run these places (very awesome, helpful, and friendly people), and have been volunteering and helping out when I can. It has been a great way to meet people, get plugged in, and make new friends. I look forward to getting to know them further, and maybe even getting some of my own work on a wall or two while I’m down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment