Saturday, May 14, 2011

STILL COLLAGING: FOUND AND REFUSED

 Graced
12x15"
Mixed media
2011

(detail)

I'm still working on my collages made from scrap and refuse material. The experience is always different from painting, and the outcome is much similar. With collage I am able to move pieces around to see if they fit, which enables me to be more strategic, and helps me to make the strongest composition possible. In using these materials, I am dealing with the issue of things that have had a different life at one point, but have since been discarded, left over, abandoned, rediscovered, and given new purpose and being. What once was simply utilitarian material is now made into something more purposeful in an artistic, spiritual, and transcending sense. They are now transmitters of a message and discourse, they are objects of worth, and they have since lost any reputation of utility.

I hope to post more about the things I’m working on and thinking about in the near future, as well as some images of new work.

No comments:

Post a Comment