Monday, September 7, 2009


There has been some construction going on for a year or so in the field (or once was) across the street from my Mom's house. I drive by it all the time and found it captivating, especially at sunset. I don't think people are supposed to be on the premise, but I couldn't help myself and needed exploration. When in/or among nature there is this quieting feeling you get, for lack of a better word. I can understand peoples reasoning in searching for spirituality in nature, as tacky as it sounds. From my mind's eye, I believe it could be because it is closer to God's original plan. Out there, there is no technology, business, art world, or other man made distraction. Just you and the Earth. Just simply existing for a moment. However, in this case there are machines, dug dirt, and tire tracks that have ravaged this plot of field. But no humans except for me. In being out in the field it felt to me as if the machines themselves had grown out of the dirt and claimed this land. Or as if they were like a herd of grazing buffalo that had settled down there. At the same time, it was witnessing the slow approach of mans hand and conquering of this space.

I think it is going to be a park.

No comments:

Post a Comment